for / while else doesn't make sense

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Wed May 25 06:47:46 EDT 2016

Christopher Reimer <christopher_reimer at icloud.com>:

> Back in the early 1980's, I grew up on 8-bit processors and latin-1 was
> all we had for ASCII.

You really were very advanced. According to <URL:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859-1#History>, ISO 8859-1 was
standardized in 1985. "Eight-bit-cleanness" became a thing in the early
1990's.

Where I was in late 1980's, the terminals were still 7-bit, and
instead of ASCII, national 7-bit character set variants were being used.
For example, you might see Pascal code like this:

   ä return the net å
   ret := grossÄunitÅ * grossRate

> Over the last several days from reading this thread (and variations
> thereof), l've seen several extended characters that I have no clue on
> how to reproduce on my keyboard. I haven't embraced extended character
> sets yet, which means I still think of ASCII characters as being 0
> through 255 (8-bit).

But Latin-1 is on your fingertips? ¡Qué bueno! Entonces sabes dónde
están las teclas españolas, ¿no?

Marko