Python 3.5.1

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu May 19 16:52:24 EDT 2016

On 5/19/2016 12:47 PM, Bella via Python-list wrote:

> Thisis my first encountering with Python. I have successfully
> downloaded Python3.5.1 for Windows but see only a black window with
> command prompt.

If you start Python from the Python directory on the Start menu, you
should see a black window with a '>>> ' prompt.  This is the interactive
Python prompt.  The title bar should also say 'Python'.  If you open a
Windows Command Prompt window, it will have a different title and a
'/User/login_name>' prompt (on Win 10).

 > I do not see IDLE under PYthon on Windows Start Menu.

Perhaps you unclicked the option to install tkinter, IDLE, and turtle.
In the Python window, enter 'import tkinter' and report the result.

> Downloaded version of Python is based on 32-bit and my PC is 64-bit.

That is not a problem.  What Windows version?  If XP, 3.5 will not work.

--
Terry Jan Reedy