Resources/pointers for writing maintable, testable Python

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu May 19 00:03:58 EDT 2016

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 9:26:39 AM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Thursday 19 May 2016 13:31, Rustom Mody wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 6:26:26 AM UTC+5:30, Ben Finney wrote:
>
> >> Code Like A Pythonista was written in the Python 2 era
> >> <http://python.net/~goodger/projects/pycon/2007/idiomatic/handout.html>
> >> but is still excellent advice today.
> >

> > If <link> is python-2 and still the best excellent advice today
> > doesn't it go somewhat counter to pyhthon-2 is a dead-end ?? :-)
>
> Ben didn't say that it is the *best* excellent advice.
>
> But even if he did, your conclusion is invalid. I still have books written for
> Python 1.4 and 1.5 that I turn to when I can't remember % targets and regular
> expression codes, and my copy of the Python Cookbook is still full of excellent
> code even though it is written for Python 2.

And you have the knowledge and experience to know that when you refer to
a python 2 (or 1) reference and apply it in 3 and there are minor glitches,
you know where to go for clarifications.

Maybe the OP also knows... maybe not...
No case against python3, just that the pro-3 rhetoric need not be so shrill