Resources/pointers for writing maintable, testable Python

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed May 18 23:56:21 EDT 2016

On Thursday 19 May 2016 13:31, Rustom Mody wrote:

> On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 6:26:26 AM UTC+5:30, Ben Finney wrote:

>> Code Like A Pythonista was written in the Python 2 era
>> <http://python.net/~goodger/projects/pycon/2007/idiomatic/handout.html>
>> but is still excellent advice today.
>

> If <link> is python-2 and still the best excellent advice today
> doesn't it go somewhat counter to pyhthon-2 is a dead-end ?? :-)

Ben didn't say that it is the *best* excellent advice.

But even if he did, your conclusion is invalid. I still have books written for
Python 1.4 and 1.5 that I turn to when I can't remember % targets and regular
expression codes, and my copy of the Python Cookbook is still full of excellent
code even though it is written for Python 2.

> Need to point this out since the opposite case to Chris'
> "switch to 3 or else suffer in hell..." needs to be articulated:
>
> Python-3 is nice but 2 is ok. The diffs are not such a big deal

Python 2 is still an excellent language. It's just not going forward -- no new
features will be added to it.

--
Steve