Whittle it on down

DFS nospam at dfs.com
Thu May 5 17:36:11 EDT 2016

On 5/5/2016 1:54 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Thu, 5 May 2016 10:31 pm, DFS wrote:
>
>> You are out of your mind.
>
> That's twice you've tried to put me down, first by dismissing my comments
> about text processing with "Linguist much", and now an outright insult. The
> first time I laughed it off and made a joke about it. I won't do that
> again.
 >
> You asked whether it was better to extract the matching strings into a new
> list, or remove them in place in the existing list. I not only showed you
> how to do both, but I tried to give you the mental tools to understand when
> you should pick one answer over the other. And your response is to insult
> me and question my sanity.
>
> Well, DFS, I might be crazy, but I'm not stupid. If that's really how you
> feel about my answers, I won't make the mistake of wasting my time
> answering your questions in the future.
>
> Over to you now.

heh!  Relax, pal.

I was just trying to be funny - no insult intended either time, of
course.  Look for similar responses from me in the future.  Usenet
brings out the smart-aleck in me.

Actually, you should've accepted the 'Linguist much?' as a compliment,
because I seriously thought you were.

But you ARE out of your mind if you prefer that convoluted "function"
method over a simple 1-line regex method (as per S. Hansen).

def isupperalpha(string):
     return string.isalpha() and string.isupper()

def check(string):
     if isupperalpha(string):
         return True
     parts = string.split("&")
     if len(parts) < 2:
         return False
     parts[0] = parts[0].rstrip(" ")
     parts[-1] = parts[-1].lstrip(" ")
     for i in range(1, len(parts)-1):
         parts[i] = parts[i].strip(" ")
      return all(isupperalpha(part) for part in parts)

I'm sure it does the job well, but that style brings back [bad] memories
of the VBA I used to write.  I expected something very concise and
'pythonic' (which I'm learning is everyone's favorite mantra here in
python-land).

Anyway, I appreciate ALL replies to my queries.  So thank you for taking
the time.

Whenever I'm able, I'll try to contribute to clp as well.