Learning Python (or Haskell) makes you a worse programmer

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Wed Mar 30 09:37:00 EDT 2016

On 3/30/2016 9:09 AM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 12:06 AM, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org> wrote:
>> I need a co-conspirator with better hands than mine to get through the next
>> stage which is some form of an AST smart editor that operates on larger
>> chunks such as idioms or snippets in a speech friendly way. Ideally I'd like
>> to see a bidirectional transform between the spoken form and a code form so
>> that you can edit the spoken form and regenerate the code.
> Sounds to me like what you want is a variant language, a
> speech-friendly programming language that compiles to Python. You
> effectively store the spoken version, and translate it (one way) to
> Python for execution.

That would be ideal but the problem comes with working with the team. I
can't expect the other members the team to learn the system. I need to
be able to work according to the teams rules (coding style etc.) for
proper integration into an effort. Maybe I should be looking at machine
learning for identifying patterns in the code and translation back to a
spoken form.

It be interesting to see what people could come up with though for a
speech friendly Python model. I've been wrestling with the problem so
long, I probably have tons of blind spots.