crash while using PyCharm / Python3

Dirk T. Verbeek dverbeek at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 21 13:33:52 EDT 2016

Op 21-03-16 om 17:51 schreef Adam:
> "Adam" <adam at no_thanks.com> wrote in message
> news:ncikss$tks$1 at news.albasani.net...
>>
>> Host OS:    Ubuntu Desktop 14.04 LTS / Unity
>>
>> System crashed while using PyCharm / Python3.
>> Booting takes forever and stuck at the purple screen with
>> the Ubuntu logo and the five dots cycling.
>> How to fix?
>>

> So, I tried Ubuntu repair methods suggested here...
>
> How to Fix an Ubuntu System When It Won't Boot
> http://www.howtogeek.com/196740/how-to-fix-an-ubuntu-system-when-it-wont-boot/
> GRUB Boot Loader is accessible but using the recovery mode did not help.
> It hangs with "Loading extension GLX" but I forget which command I used.
>
> Then, I tried to...
>
> Reinstall Ubuntu While Keeping Files and Programs
>
> but, I am instead given the following options...
> This computer currently has Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS on it.  What would you like
> to do?
>
> - Erase Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS and reinstall
>      Warning: This will delete all your Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS programs,
> documents, photos...
> - Install Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS alongside Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
>      Documents, music, and other personal files will be kept.  You can choose
> which operating system...
> - Erase disk and install Ubuntu
> - Something else
>
> Perhaps, "Install Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS alongside Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS" is the
> safest ?

It's easy to do a reinstall without wiping documents and application
configurations/settings PROVIDING you have a separate / (root) and /home
partition.

During partition you select Manual partitioning and assign the existing
partitions being VERY careful to NOT format the existing /home.

But / where the OS and all applications reside will need to be
formatted/deleted/overwritten.

Keeping the configuration on your /home might cause the old error to be
included in the new install...

Although, you error seems to be the system, not the applications.