crash while using PyCharm / Python3

Daniel Wilcox dmw at yubasolutions.com
Sat Mar 19 02:07:56 EDT 2016

> Host OS:    Ubuntu Desktop 14.04 LTS / Unity
>
> System crashed while using PyCharm / Python3.
> Booting takes forever and stuck at the purple screen with
> the Ubuntu logo and the five dots cycling.
> How to fix?

First off your machine not booting isn't really Python related.  Python may
have managed to trigger a kernel panic or other fault - causing the
reboot.  Python isn't usually used during the boot up process so it
wouldn't have anything to do with the computer not starting.

Most likely you'll want to talk with folks on an Ubuntu forum but you will
definitely need to gather more information.  Press 'Esc' at that screen and
write down with the last messages printed.

The most relevant questions that comes to mind:

Have you rebooted recently and/or did your machine run any updates before
that reboot?
(reasoning: if the kernel, initrd, systemd or other boot related processes
were updated and that is causing issues you would notice until the next
reboot)
Do you use any experimental file systems? Btrfs ring a bell?  (if you
didn't go out of your way to do this -- don't worry about it)

Possible remedy:
When you reboot the computer you should get a menu for a few seconds
offering various boot options -- you can an arrow key to stop the timeout
and use Enter to select.  You can try another kernel on that menu and see
if you get a different result -- most distributions will keep a fallback or
older kernel option around, especially after an upgrade. (it's been awhile
since I used Ubuntu so I'm a touch fuzzy on what the recovery options
should look like)

Best of luck, there are a lot of possible causes for how your machine might
have crashed though most of them wouldn't prevent it from booting
subsequently (which led me to think an upgrade might have bitten you).  Let
me know the error messages you collect I might have an idea but generally
the Ubuntu forums would be the best place to look (after you have some
clues as to why it isn't booting).

Cheers,

-D