WP-A: A New URL Shortener

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 20:34:22 EDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Erik <python at lucidity.plus.com> wrote:

>>  I often like to make a small
>> change when I reimplement, though - something that I thought was
>> ill-designed in the original,
>

> OK, so maybe the idea for Vinicius (if he's still reading) to pursue is that
> it should be something that can be used as the basis for a URL shortening
> "service" that is distributed and can NOT go away (think DNS). That is what
> some people don't like about the URL shorteners, so maybe that's an itch
> that he might want to scratch.
>
> I've no idea if other such projects already exist, it just occurred to me
> when responding.

Now THAT is an interesting idea. I don't know how it would be handled,
though; since there has to be additional information that isn't in the
URL, and has to *not* be on any server that can go down, it basically
has to be a distributed thing somehow. So you'd need to look into how
things like Bitcoin work. It'd be pretty cool if it could work!

ChrisA