Different sources of file

Val Krem valkrem at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 16:56:44 EDT 2016

Hi all,

I am made a little progress on using python.
I have five files to read from different sources  and concatenate them to one file.  From each file I want only to pick  few column  (x1, x2  and  x3). However, these columns say x3 was  a date in one file it was recorded as a character  (2015/12/26)  and in the other file it was records  (20151226)  and in the other file it was recorded as  (26122015). How do I standardized these into one form (yyyymmdd-20151126). If there is no date then delete that record

2. The other variable x2. In one of the one files it was recorded as  "M" and "F". In the other  file  x3  is  1 for male and 2 for female.  So I want to change  all to 1 or 2. if this variable is out of range M / F or 1 or 2 then delete that record

3.  After doing all these I want combine all files into one  and send it to output.

Finally, do some statistics  such as number of records read from each file. Distribution of sex  and total number of records sent out to a file.

Below is my attempt but not great
#!/usr/bin/python
import sys
import csv
from collections import Counter

N=10
count=0
with open("file1") as f1:
for line in f1:
count+=1
print("Total Number of records read", count)
# I want to see the first few lines of the data

file1Name   x2    x3
Alex1  F   2015/02/11
Alex2  M   2012/01/27
Alex3  F   2011/10/20