Hello

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 17:53:45 EST 2016

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 4:49 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 02:28 pm, rubengoodson3 at yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > I am having trouble installing the Python software.
>
> Make sure your computer is turned on. I can't tell you how many times I've
> tried to install Python, and I type commands and click icons and nothing
> happens. It's really frustrating when you finally realise that the reason
> nothing is working is because the computer is turned off! (I thought I just
> had the screen brightness turned way down.)

Many years ago (c. 1985) I was at a job interview and the interviewer asked
me what the first thing I would do when I am presented with a new problem
that I had to code up. I gave all sorts of answers like 'do a top down
analysis of the problem,' and 'get the specs and requirements,' and 'write
a flow chart.' Each time the interviewer said no even before that. Finally
I said, what, what would do first? He said "Turn the computer on." I
decided then and there I did not want to work for that guy.