Text input with keyboard, via input methods (was: turtle ??)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Mar 10 02:28:07 EST 2016

Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> writes:

> BTW, typing any useful Unicode character is a major unsolved problem.

You typed a good number of Unicode characters in that sentence alone.
ASCII is a simple subset of Unicode.

I suppose you meant to refer to typing some character not mapped to a
single keystroke on a US-English keyboard kayout.

You're right, that is a major problem.

As for how solved it is, that depends on what you're hoping for as a
solution.

The conventional solution, which I find to be quite useful for typing
characters from a great many different writing systems, is an
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_method> customised to
particular writing systems.

My primary input method is one which lets me type typical English text
and also easily input a broad range of useful characters with a few
mnenonic two- or three-key sequences.

> I have created this text file that contains a lot of unicode
> characters with their code points. Every once in a while I have to
> open the file and copy and paste a character to, say, a Usenet
> posting. Cumbersome but necessary.

Hopefully your operating system has a good input method system, with
many input methods available to choose from. May you find a decent
default there.

--
 \                  “It is … incumbent upon us to recognize that it is |
  `\    inappropriate for religion to play any role in issues of state |