turtle ??

Jussi Piitulainen jussi.piitulainen at helsinki.fi
Thu Mar 10 01:46:25 EST 2016

Marko Rauhamaa writes:

> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
>
>> A Turkish keyboard should have dotless and dotted, uppercase and
>> lowercase, all easily typed.
>
> BTW, typing any useful Unicode character is a major unsolved
> problem. I have created this text file that contains a lot of unicode
> characters with their code points. Every once in a while I have to
> open the file and copy and paste a character to, say, a Usenet
> posting. Cumbersome but necessary.

C-u M-x python3 -c 'print("\N{TURTLE}", end = "")' RET :)

🐢

Though I only see this character as an over-wide box containing the
numeric code 01F422.

Usually I go to the web and search for the character code. Python
unicodedata module does not seem to help if one doesn't know or guess
the exact name, but if one does, unicodedata.lookup("TURTLE") works.

Aha! http://unicode-search.net/unicode-namesearch.pl?term=TURTLE

python3 -c 'print("\N{KANGXI RADICAL TURTLE}")'

⿔

That one shows as a glyph for me, both in Emacs in a terminal and in
Firefox.