Pyhon 2.x or 3.x, which is faster?

BartC bc at freeuk.com
Wed Mar 9 19:58:46 EST 2016

On 09/03/2016 23:35, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 09/03/2016 23:14, BartC wrote:

>> (The byte-code compiler for the current version is written in itself. It
>> can compile itself (some 25Kloc) in about 1 second (that's running
>> interpreted, dynamic byte-code on a not-very-fast PC).
>
> Please answer my question, will it be tested against real world
> benchmarks or microbenchmarks?  The above paragraph, and several
> following paragraphs, are completely irrelevant.

You think a bloody great compiler is a microbenchmark?!

>> A compiler is another good 'pure language' task because, apart from
>> input and output at each end, all the computation is self-contained.)
>
> I've no idea what this is meant to mean.

It means the task doesn't do any function calls to external libraries.

If you're benchmarking, that's usually what you want.

>> I'm not much interested in Unicode at the minute. I'll pass.

> Your final comment sums up perfectly your knowledge of computing in
> 2016.

You're utterly determined to belittle everything I do aren't you!

But, yeah, I was writing international applications decades ago. I'm not
working for anyone now and don't need to bother.

 From what I've seen, a lot of software can't get it right anyway.

--
Bartc