Question

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk
Wed Mar 9 07:52:10 EST 2016

On 2016-03-08, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2016 04:19 am, Ian Kelly wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 6:41 PM, Jon Ribbens
>> <jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk> wrote:
>>> 'virtualenv' works even less well, it just says:
>>>
>>> $ virtualenv test
>>> Using base prefix 'd:\\program files (x86)\\python35-32'
>>> New python executable in D:\Users\Jon
>>> Ribbens\Documents\Python\test\Scripts\python.exe ERROR: The executable
>>> "D:\Users\Jon Ribbens\Documents\Python\test\Scripts\python.exe" could not
>>> be run: [WinError 5] Access is denied
>>
>> Ah, I probably never tried using it inside a user dir. On Windows I
>> typically do development in a path close to the drive root, e.g.
>> C:\dev.
>
> Am I missing something? It looks to me like a straight forward permissions
> error? I don't know how difficult that is to solve on Windows, but I don't
> think it has anything to do with the path itself, only the permissions of
> the path.

I don't see how it could be a "straight forward permissions error".
The file it is saying "Access Denied" on is a file that was just
created by virtualenv, so if there is something wrong with its
permissions then that is a bug in virtualenv. Plus, there isn't
anything wrong with its permissions because if I run
test/Scripts/python.exe from the command line it works fine.