Errors in installation of matplotlib and pandas on Macbook

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 00:49:06 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 1:51 PM, Madhavan Bomidi <blmadhavan at gmail.com> wrote:
>   File "/usr/local/Cellar/python/2.7.11/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/locale.py", line 475, in _parse_localename
>     raise ValueError, 'unknown locale: %s' % localename
> ValueError: unknown locale: UTF-8

This looks like a problem in your environment. "UTF-8" is not a
locale; usually you'll want something else first. For me, it's
"en_AU.utf8" (although I believe UTF-8 works fine in place of utf8).
What language do you primarily speak, and what country are you in? Put
their two-letter codes together, and you'll get something like
"en_US.utf8" (English, USA), or "tr_TR.utf8" (Turkish, Turkey), or
"pt_BR.utf8" (Portuguese, Brazil). Once you know what locale you want
to be using, though, you'll need someone who knows Macs to help you
select that appropriately. Worst case, run this command before
starting Python:

export LC_ALL=en_AU.utf8

That may help.

ChrisA