Assignment Versus Equality

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 09:59:39 EDT 2016

On 2016-06-26, BartC <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:

> (Note, for those who don't know (old) Fortran, that spaces and tabs are
> not significant. So those dots are needed, otherwise "a eq b" would be
> parsed as "aeqb".)

I've always been baffled by that.

Were there other languages that did something similar?

Why would a language designer think it a good idea?

Did the poor sod who wrote the compiler think it was a good idea?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I left my WALLET in
                                  at               the BATHROOM!!