ASCII or Unicode? (was best text editor for programming Python on a Mac)

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Tue Jun 21 15:42:06 EDT 2016

On 2016-06-21 21:56, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>:
>
> > Regarding xkb:
> >
> > Some good advice given to me by Yuri Khan on emacs list
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-01/msg00332.html
>
> Well, not quite:
>
>    * Find the XKB data directory. [Normally, this
> is /usr/share/X11/xkb.]
>    * In its “keycodes” subdirectory, create a file that is unlikely
> to be overwritten by a future version of XKB (e.g. by prefixing it
> with your initials). [Let’s name it “rusi” for the sake of this
> example.]
>    * In this file, paste the following:
>    [...]
>
> You can see this advice requires root access.
>
> My coworker does assure me it can all be done with regular luser
> rights as well, but no web site seems to say how exactly.

I have a ~/.XCompose file that contains something like

include "%L"
<Multi_key> <colon> <s>             : "😖"   U1F616 # CONFOUNDED FACE
<Multi_key> <colon> <p>             : "😛"   U1F61B # FACE WITH
STUCK-OUT TONGUE <Multi_key> <colon> <P>             : "😛"   U1F61B #
FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE

The "include" pulls in the system-wide file, before adding my own
compose maps.

-tkc