ASCII or Unicode? (was best text editor for programming Python on a Mac)

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Tue Jun 21 14:56:21 EDT 2016

Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>:

> Regarding xkb:
>
> Some good advice given to me by Yuri Khan on emacs list
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-01/msg00332.html

Well, not quite:

   * Find the XKB data directory. [Normally, this is /usr/share/X11/xkb.]
   * In its “keycodes” subdirectory, create a file that is unlikely to be
   overwritten by a future version of XKB (e.g. by prefixing it with your
   initials). [Let’s name it “rusi” for the sake of this example.]
   * In this file, paste the following:
   [...]

You can see this advice requires root access.

My coworker does assure me it can all be done with regular luser rights
as well, but no web site seems to say how exactly.

Marko