Method Chaining

Pete Forman petef4+usenet at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 08:04:17 EDT 2016

Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> writes:

> On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 2:58:19 PM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 06:13 pm, Ned Batchelder wrote:
>>
>> > To me, it's a toss-up. The chained version is nice in that it
>> > removes the repetition of "g". But the unchained version is more
>> > explicit, and avoids the awkward parenthesis.
>> >
>> > I think I would lean toward the unchained version. Clearly tastes
>> > can differ.
>>
>> Indeed. For what it's worth, I'm ever-so-slightly leaning towards
>> Lawrence's taste here.
>
> More than 'slightly' out here!
> One thing about python OOP that irritates me is the 'self.' clutter.
> With a Pascal/VB style with-statement its naturally taken care of
>
> Yeah I know there is this FAQ:
> https://docs.python.org/2/faq/design.html#why-doesn-t-python-have-a-with-statement-for-attribute-assignments
>
> I consider it bogus if we allow with to mean something like:
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wc500chb.aspx

One subtle difference between your two citations is that VB uses a
leading dot. Might that lessening of ambiguity enable a future Python to
allow this?

class Foo:
    def .set(a):  # equivalent to def set(self, a):
        .a = a    # equivalent to self.a = a

Unless it is in a with statement

with obj:
    .a = 1                # equivalent to obj.a = 1
    .total = .total + 1   # obj.total = obj.total + 1

--
Pete Forman