pip vs pip2 vs pip2.7?

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Wed Jun 15 17:10:28 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016, at 16:34, Chupo via Python-list wrote:
> I am assuming multiple copies of the same file with different names are
> because of some compatibility issues but couldn't find any explanations
> so I hope someone can point me to some docs explaining the issue.

The idea is, if you have multiple python installations on your path,
"pip" will find the first one, "pip2" will find the first python2 one
(so if the first one was python3, or vice versa), and pip2.7 will find
2.7 even if e.g. 2.6 was before it on the path.

It makes a bit more sense on Unix where all of these are in /usr/bin and
only the primary "pip" [of whatever your main python installation]
actually exists.