pip vs pip2 vs pip2.7?

Chupo bad_n_mad at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 16:34:31 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

this is my first post here. I've been using Python occasionally to
accomplish some specific tasks but now I decided to study it more
seriously.

I am successfully using both Python 2.6.2 and Python 3.2.2 instaled on
Windows. I installed 2.6.2 back in 2009. and 3.2.2 came along with the
VPyton 5.74 MSI installer.

There was no problems but today I decided to install Python 2.7.11 as
the latest pre-3.x.x version and the first thing I noticed was the
'Scripts' folder which was not present in earlier versions, containing:

easy_install.exe
easy_install-2.7.exe
pip.exe
pip2.exe
pip2.7.exe

So my question is - which one should I use to install the Python
packages? Should I just use pip, of pip2 or pip2.7 and what is the
difference?

Typing:

pip list

in command prompt says:

>pip list
pip (7.1.2)
setuptools (18.2)
You are using pip version 7.1.2, however version 8.1.2 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'python -m pip install --upgrade
pip' command.

>pip2 list

and

>pip2.7 list

results in exactly the same - what is then purpose of three different
'pip*.exe' executables?

I noticed both easy_install files are of the same size (89.448 bytes)
and all 3 of the pip files are of the same size (89.420 bytes) as well.

In fact, easy_install.exe and easy_install-2.7.exe are exactly the same
compared by binary compare utility, and pip, pip2 & pip2.7 are exactly
the same up to the single byte :-/

I am assuming multiple copies of the same file with different names are
because of some compatibility issues but couldn't find any explanations
so I hope someone can point me to some docs explaining the issue.
--
Let There Be Light
Custom LED driveri prema specifikacijama

Chupo