Python packages listed in PyPI

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jul 21 02:35:51 EDT 2016

Rayne via Python-list <python-list at python.org> writes:

> May I know if the Python packages listed on the PyPI page
> (https://pypi.python.org/pypi) are OS-independent?

There is a Trove classifier, “Operating System”, which allows the
package maintainer to declare one or more specific operating systems.

For example, a package might have the trove classifiers
“Operating System :: MacOS :: MacOS X” and
“Operating System :: POSIX”. That is a positive assertion from the
package maintainer that those operating systems are supported.

> That is, do I download and install the same package on both Windows
> and Linux systems?

You should use ‘pip’ to decide which specific file to download for your
platform.

--
 \         “How wonderful that we have met with a paradox. Now we have |
  `\                        some hope of making progress.” —Niels Bohr |