What exactly is "exact" (was Clean Singleton Docstrings)

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Wed Jul 20 10:00:36 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016, at 03:16, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com>:
> > Typically their capacity is labeled in amp-hours.
>
> Did you really see that labeled on the (nonrechargeable AA) battery?

Sorry, I must have imagined that. Anyway, my point was that the reality
is too complicated to easily assign a number to - that they don't even
try supports that. Duracell's datasheets don't even have a single
number, just a bunch of line graphs.

> > You have to know your devices to know if the voltage difference
> > between different battery types (Which ranges from 1.2 to 1.7 for
> > nominal-1.5 AAA/AA/C/D cells, and may be lower under load) is
> > significant or not, and in what direction.
>
> Well, your amp hours will be shittier with a lower voltage.

Define "shittier". An incandescent flashlight (which consumes less power
at lower voltage) will last longer, but won't be as bright. If it's
still acceptably bright, that's not worse.

> That's why
> reporting joules would be more honest.

And *my* point is that the number of joules depends on how the battery
is used. And different types of batteries are optimized for different
applications.