Were is a great place to Share your finished projects?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jul 14 21:11:20 EDT 2016

Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> writes:

> On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 09:13 am, Brendan Abel wrote:
> > since they all use software that is closed-source.  At some point,
> > paying for software just makes sense.

Is it 1998 again already?

Or am I expecting too much that people involved in software in the 21st
century should not fall for the canard of “why don't you want to pay for
software”, because it is *completely irrelevant* to the issue of
software freedom.

So please, stop repeating that canard. Of course paying for software
makes sense. That in no way entails vendor lock-in of valuable community
data, and we should not be paying for that.

> No, that doesn't follow. The opposite of "open source" is not "paying
> for software". You can pay somebody to maintain your open source repo
> just as easily as you can pay somebody else to maintain their own
> closed source repo.

Yes. Likewise, just because you don't hand any money to someone doesn't
mean you are free from vendor lock-in and proprietary protocols. One day
perhaps we won't need to repeat that for it to be understood.

> I watched the discussion on Python-Dev that decided to move to github,
> and there were completely viable open source hg alternatives. Although
> nobody was quite crass enough to come right out and say it, the
> alternatives were all dismissed because they weren't Github, because
> "everyone uses github".

Fortunately there are a zillion software projects who can still choose a
hosting provider that won't lock them in, and good free-software hosting
alternatives like Pagure are beginning to appear. Not all is lost.

--
 \       “The Initial Mystery that attends any journey is: how did the |
  `\   traveller reach his starting point in the first place?” —Louise |