Were is a great place to Share your finished projects?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Jul 14 20:45:46 EDT 2016

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 09:13 am, Brendan Abel wrote:

> In the article he makes a good point that if
> you're that worried about always using open-source, then you shouldn't be
> using gmail, or twitter, or even automobiles,

It's not a good point. I don't use gmail, or twitter, and if I could find a
car that didn't rely on closed-source code, I would use it. Just because
choice is limited and its hard or impossible to get open-source engines
doesn't mean that closed-source engines are a good idea.

> since they all use software
> that is closed-source.  At some point, paying for software just makes
> sense.

No, that doesn't follow. The opposite of "open source" is not "paying for
software". You can pay somebody to maintain your open source repo just as
easily as you can pay somebody else to maintain their own closed source
repo.

I watched the discussion on Python-Dev that decided to move to github, and
there were completely viable open source hg alternatives. Although nobody
was quite crass enough to come right out and say it, the alternatives were
all dismissed because they weren't Github, because "everyone uses github".

--
Steven
enough, things got worse.