Django Tastypie Vs. Djaogn Rest Framework

justin walters walters.justin01 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 12:42:16 EDT 2016

Hi guys and gals.

I've been building a new web application with my business partner. We're
using Django and postreSQL. We needed a restful API as we wanted the back
end to be completely decoupled from the front end. We ended up going with
Tastypie over DRF due to the former being seemingly less complex and easier
to get rolling. I've used DRF in the past and found it to have somewhat of
a steeper learning curve compared to Tastypie. The way tastypie has you
define resources seems a lot more intuitive to me than the way DRF does so.

Despite my experience, it seems like DRF is by far the more popular choice
for new applications. I was wondering if anyone could offer some insights
into why this is the case. Does DRF offer more highly optimized queries?