Were is a great place to Share your finished projects?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 01:11:27 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 2:42 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> > Pull requests. Code review. Issues. Integration with other services.
>> > All the social information around all of those interactions, and
>> > more.
>> >
>> > If *any* of that is valuable, then yes it's important that it not be
>> > locked to any one vendor.
>>
>> Exactly how important? Not so important as to stop slabs of Python
>> from migrating to GitHub, including its pull request system.
>
> I maintain that it is important enough to stop that.
>
> The migration happened anyway, because not everyone is convinced of the
> importance of avoiding vendor lock-in of valuable data, over criteria
> such as “this person happens to like Vendor-locked Solution Foo”.

Fine. You're welcome to take a 100% philosophical stance; I applaud
you for it. (I understand Richard Stallman is so adamant about not
using *any* non-free code - software or firmware - that he restricts
himself to a tiny selection of laptops that have free BIOSes.)
Personally, I believe practicality beats purity in computing
philosophy as well as API design, and I'll happily let GitHub carry my
software. What's the worst that can happen? I have to switch to
somewhere else, and I lose the issue tracker and pull requests. In the
case of CPython, they wouldn't even be lost - they're (to be) backed
up. In the meantime, I'm on a well-polished platform with a large
number of users. The same cannot be said for *many* other hosts, even
if they do use exclusively free software.

ChrisA