Can math.atan2 return INF?

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Fri Jul 1 11:20:11 EDT 2016

Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com>:

> There are other more reasonable non-religious non-dualistic notions of
> soul possible:

Software engineers should have an easy time understanding what a soul
is: a sufficiently sophisticated software system in execution. I'd say
the minimum requirement for a soul is the capacity to suffer. I don't
think anything built by humans has yet reached that level of
sophistication, but insects probably can feel pain as authentically as
humans.

Here: <URL: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendental_number>.

> And dont try saying that if e is transcendental so is 2e 3e 4e... And
> no use trying more such tricks -- they only multiply these two
> countably infinite times And you may produce a few more, more esoteric
> transcendentals --- a very finite set!

The banal way of putting it that we can express only countably many
individual items.

The more philosophical point of view is that mathematics failed at
circumscribing all of philosophy and is condemned to counting beans.
Naive set theory was a Grand Unified Theory of Everything, but of course
inconsistent. The bottom-up set theories are sane but completely fail at
being the ultimate metalevel.

Marko