The computer that mastered Go

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sun Jan 31 06:57:21 EST 2016

Bernardo Sulzbach <mafagafogigante at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 6:53 PM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Given the game, and the fact that it's Google, I would be very
>> disappointed if it's not written in Go.
>
> Then be disappointed. The AI field seems to have strong feelings for
> Lua. However using Go instead of C++ would have promoted their baby a
> little.

Lua is a fun little language.

Go gets a nod for some interesting ideas.

C++ has all but collapsed under its own weight, but has some expressive
advantages over C.

None of those languages gets me excited, though.

Somebody once asked the question, What if you were stranded on a desert
island and could bring an unlimited supply of one food item, which food
item would that be? And the answer, supposedly, was: strawberry ice
cream. Apparently it has the most balanced distribution of nutrients for
survival.

Now what if you were stranded on a desert island and could bring only
one programming language with you? I think Python is a great candidate
(even if there are other good contenders). It really provides a
well-balanced diet to most programming tasks.

Philosophically, Scheme gets me excited, and the down-to-earth nature of
plain old C is hard to beat.

Marko