psss...I want to move from Perl to Python

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Jan 30 06:12:40 EST 2016

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 09:47 am, Ben Finney wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> writes:
>
>> You should have started with the official tutorial:
>>
>> https://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/
>
> And these days the default recommendation should be to start with the
> official tutorial for the current stable version of the Python language,
> Python 3 <URL:https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/>.

Python 2.7 is still a current stable version, and will be maintained until
at least 2020, after which you'll need commercial (paid) support from
vendors such as Red Hat if you want security updates.

I value your enthusiasm towards encouraging people to use Python 3, but
Python 2.7 is, for the time being, equally current and stable, and will be
for a few more years.

I can't remember why I gave the 2 tutorial instead of the 3 tutorial, but I
had a reason at the time...

*wink*

--
Steven