psss...I want to move from Perl to Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 15:54:28 EST 2016

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 7:41 AM,  <sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's funny...when I first started using Python, I hated it because it held your hand and made everything too easy.  I was a major C, C++ and Java fanatic.  Now, I LOVE Python because it holds your hand and makes everything so easy.

Exactly.

> I still like C and C++, but have basically learned that each language has it's place.  I wouldn't try to write a AAA-quality game in Python, just like I wouldn't write something that should be a simple 50-line Python script in C++.

And you'd be amazed at how many of the things people say "oh, you
can't do *that* in Python" can actually be done 99% in Python and 1%
in some other language - often with the 1% being a standard library.
Sure, Python's arithmetic operations aren't fast enough to do heavy
computational work in - but what if you just deploy numpy and let
Fortran do the heavy lifting? You can write your application logic in
Python, and get the performance of Fortran.

ChrisA