python-2.7.3 vs python-3.2.3

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jan 26 18:57:40 EST 2016

Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> writes:

> I have need of using a script written for python3, but the default
> python on wheezy is 2.7.3.

Correction: the default Python 2 is 2.7.3. The default Python 3 is
3.2.3.

Since Python 2 and Python 3 are distinct run-time systems, there's no
single “default Python” in Debian Wheezy.

> I see in the wheezy repos that 3.2.3-6 is available.

Correct. If you have a program needing Python 3, you should ignore the
Python 2 system and only look at Python 3.

> Can/will they co-exist peacefully?

Yes.

--
 \         “Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they |
  `\                                         believe me?” —Jack Handey |