python-2.7.3 vs python-3.2.3

Matt Wheeler m at funkyhat.org
Tue Jan 26 09:34:26 EST 2016

On 26 January 2016 at 12:26, Gene Heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I have need of using a script written for python3, but the default python
> on wheezy is 2.7.3.
>
> I see in the wheezy repos that 3.2.3-6 is available.
>
> Can/will they co-exist peacefully?

Yes, python packages for different minor versions do not clash with
one another on Debian (or any other system I am aware of).

The `python` executable is provided by a version of Python 2 (decided
by the "alternatives" system on Debian if there is more than one).

Python 3 packages will only provide a `python3` executable, not
`python`, so everything will continue to work as it currently does.

The only slight issue you might encounter is that Python 3.2 is quite
old now and actually not as well supported as Python 2.7 (many
projects support Python 2.7 or 3.3+ only). Best to just try out your
script and find out though.

--
Matt Wheeler
http://funkyh.at