pip install mitmproxy - fails on watchdog-0.8.3.tar.gz with "Permission denied" error (Python 2.7.11 on Win XP SP3);

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Sun Jan 24 04:12:21 EST 2016

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Angelico" <rosuav at gmail.com>
To: "Steve Petrie, P.Eng." <apetrie at aspetrie.net>
Cc: <python-list at python.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2016 2:56 PM
Subject: Re: pip install mitmproxy - fails on watchdog-0.8.3.tar.gz with
"Permission denied" error (Python 2.7.11 on Win XP SP3);

>> In case other Windows XP "orphans" want to use mitmdump, here's what
>> learned (via Google):
>>
>> I changed the bang line (wrapping the pathname in double quotes) in
>> file
>> mitmdump-script.py:
>>
>>   from: #!e:\a p p s\python27\python.exe
>>      to: #!"e:\a p p s\python27\python.exe"
>
> Spaces in names are often a pain. I'd raise this upstream as a bug
> report - it should be fixed properly rather than depending on manual
> editing.

I'd like to raise the bug report you suggest, but I'm not clear on the
meaning of the word "upstream" in relation to Python-list. (I've seen
"upstream" used by participants in another forum
<pgsql-general at postgresql.org> and always wondered what "upstream" meant
there.)

I know what "upstream" means, in terms of: water flow in a river, or
vehicle flow on a highway, or data flow over a comms link. "upstream" is
where a moving particle was, earlier in time

But my puzzlement is -- where is "upstream" in relation to an email
forum, in the context of a thread?

The fix for the mitmdump bang line bug was applied to file
mitmdump-script.py, and according to its "Date Modified" field on my Win
XP, this file arrived in the e:\a p p s\Python27\Scripts\ directory,
when I installed mitmproxy. So it looks to me like file
mitmdump-script.py is a product of the mitmproxy project.

Am I correct in assuming, that "upstream" in the context of this present
thread, means I should report the bang line bug to an mitmproxy forum?

Steve