Installing pygame

John Mycroft johnm at cobbsmill.com
Thu Jan 21 05:10:48 EST 2016

Hi!
I have now spent several hours trying to install Pygame with Python
3.5.  I have installed from a msi file "successfully" but "import
pygame" fails either because Python can't find pygame or because "%1  is
not a valid .DLL".  I have followed the instructions at
https://www.webucator.com/blog/2015/03/installing-the-windows-64-bit-version-of-pygame/
to install from a wheel which works just fine until I get to
***************
C:\Python>c:\python\scripts\pip install pygame-1.9.2a0-cp35-none-win32
c:\python\lib\site-packages\pip\pep425tags.py:89: RuntimeWarning: Config
variable 'Py_DEBUG' is unset, Python ABI tag may be incorrect
   warn=(impl == 'cp')):
c:\python\lib\site-packages\pip\pep425tags.py:93: RuntimeWarning: Config
variable 'WITH_PYMALLOC' is unset, Python ABI tag may be incorrect
   warn=(impl == 'cp')):
Collecting pygame-1.9.2a0-cp35-none-win32
   Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement
pygame-1.9.2a0-cp35-none-win32 (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for pygame-1.9.2a0-cp35-none-win32
which tells me nothing.

Please, someone - how do I install pygame?  It appears to be installed
on my PC - maybe I have it in the wrong folder?  When I download the
install packages, I copy them into my c:\Python folder (where my Python
lives) and install from there so I would think they'd get installed in
the right place.

Many thanks - John Mycroft