Stop writing Python 4 incompatible code

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 10:30:38 EST 2016

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 11:19:16 PM UTC-6, Michael Torrie wrote:

> The only one speculating is you.  Everything I've read points to this
> idea of yours about GvR and Google being untrue.

Providing speculation is not the same as providing facts.
Please provide facts. And enumerate them!

> You have presented no evidence for your accusation, so
> given the evidence I have seen that contradicts you, I
> must conclude that you made it [up].

Here is an enumerated list of the indisputable facts of this
case:

  (1) GvR is no longer employed by Google (FACT!)

  (2) Before Python3 came along, the Python community was
  vibrant and growing (FACT!)

  (3) After Python3 came along, the Python community has
  become fractured, and the Python code base has become
  fractured, and the general public consensus is that Python
  is on its way to extinction (FACT!)

Of course these are not *ALL* the facts, but they are *ALL*
the facts that publicly available. If you (and your hero
GvR) want to prevent rumors from circulation, them i
suggest you provide the relevant facts regarding his change
of employment, and simply throwing opinions out that "the
change suited him well" is not providing any facts.

> I don't know who the "we" you're talking about is,

I represent the concerns of entire class of Python community
members, folks who are fearful to speak out publicly for
fear of reprisals (which is a legitimate fear).

> but if your livelihood depends on Python's existence and
> development in a certain direction, then [...] you should
> be able to adapt to any programming language suitable for
> your job at hand.

Both myself, and the people i represent, write code in
*MANY* languages, but to suggest that we should just """be
quiet and translate millions of lines of code into another
language because our "dear leader" decided to break
backwards compatibility for arbitrary reasons"""... is a
quite impractical, don't you think?