SSL certification fails / tweepy

dieter dieter at handshake.de
Thu Jan 14 02:59:22 EST 2016

"K. Elo" <maillists at pp.inet.fi> writes:

> I have written I small python script for twitter mining utilising the
> 'tweepy' library. Since a couple of days I cannot use the script
> anymore, due to a "ssl certificate verification failed" error. The
> authentication with Twitter API succeess, but when I try to run the
> following code:
> the execution is broken with an "SSL_VERIFICATION_FAILED" error.

Whenever an execution is aborted by an exception, you should
always look at the traceback (--> "traceback" module).
It tells you where precisely in your code the exception has occured
and how you came to that point. This is important information in
order to understand the problem.

"SSL_VERIFICATION_FAILED" is an error which occurs when
an SSL ("https") connection is established. It happens when
the SSL certificate (of the server and/or client) does not contain
expected data - e.g. the certificate is no longer (or not yet) valid
or its subject does not reference the connected entity or the
certificate chain cannot be verified.

Look for Python documentation on SSL verification to learn how to
properly set up things for successful verfication. Among others,
you will need have somewhere information about trusted root certificates.