Stop writing Python 4 incompatible code

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 20:02:52 EST 2016

On Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 6:11:06 PM UTC-6, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> But [GvR] has definitely ruled that 4.0 (assuming there is
> one) will not be a major backwards-incompatible version
> like 3.0 was.

Well for the sake of Python's future, let's all hope so!

I typically don't give much weight to the statements of
sycophants, but i really do hope your assessment of GvR's
intentions is correct, because it would indicate that "old
hubris" has *FINALLY* come to realize what many of us
feared all along -- that Python3 was going to do more damage
than good!

In fact, in the years before Python3 arrived, it had enjoyed
a steady ascension from obscurity into mainstream hacker
culture, but now, all that remains is a fractured community,
a fractured code base, and a leader who lost his cushy job
at Google -- of which i think Python3 is directly
responsible. Think about it: if they hired him *BECAUSE* of
Python's success then we can *ONLY* conclude they fired him
for mismanaging it.

Folks, our future is in peril, but one thing is guaranteed,
if the introduction of Python4 is *anything* like the
introduction of Python3, well, then, it's curtains for
Python. *CURTAINS*!!!