Stop writing Python 4 incompatible code

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Jan 13 19:10:36 EST 2016

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 03:25 am, Random832 wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 09:21, sjmsoft at gmail.com wrote:
>> This strikes me as very good advice.  Thanks for being so far-sighted.
>> And let's hope that Python 4 has fewer incompatibilities (none would
>> good) than Python 3!
>
> Who says there's going to be a Python 4? I always assumed 3.9 would be
> followed by 3.10.

Guido has a *very* strong dislike for two digit minor version numbers. It
took a fair amount of arm-twisting to get him to accept two digit micro
version numbers, like 2.7.10. It is doubtful that we'll see 3.10.

But he has definitely ruled that 4.0 (assuming there is one) will not be a
major backwards-incompatible version like 3.0 was.

That's not to say that there won't be any backwards incompatibilities at
all, but they will be relatively minor, like the change from 2.5 to 2.6. (I
bet most people don't even know that 2.6 broke backwards-compatibility.)

--
Steven