Stop writing Python 4 incompatible code

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 11:38:53 EST 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 3:25 AM, Random832 <random832 at fastmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2016, at 09:21, sjmsoft at gmail.com wrote:
>> This strikes me as very good advice.  Thanks for being so far-sighted.
>> And let's hope that Python 4 has fewer incompatibilities (none would
>> good) than Python 3!
>
> Who says there's going to be a Python 4? I always assumed 3.9 would be
> followed by 3.10.

There most likely will be a Python 4.0 at some point. One theory is
that 3.9 will be followed by 4.0, which will technically have some
backward-incompatible changes (hence it would be inappropriate to call
it 3.10), but in practical terms, good Py3.9 code will be identical to
good Py4.0 code - it'll just remove things that got deprecated during
the 3.x lifecycle.

ChrisA