Which Python editor has this feature?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Jan 12 03:27:43 EST 2016

On 1/11/2016 8:09 PM, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 11:55 AM, Bernardo Sulzbach
> <mafagafogigante at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 10:14 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Next IDLE feature request: Can you make it so that, across all
>>> platforms, it magically installs PostgreSQL and psycopg2? That would
>>> solve so many of my students' problems...

I detect an invisible smiley at the end of that.

PostgresSQL is not a Python package, hence would need a custom script to
download and invoke, and would probably need user clicks anyway, at
least on Windows.  Does/could psycopg2 have such for installing its
dependency?

Can psycopg2 be installed with pip?  There is an issue (#23551) to make
a pip GUI and make it accessible from IDLE.  We need someone with both
pip and tkinter knowledge to either design and write it or mentor a GSOC
student to do so.  One written, I would add an IDLE menu item to run it,
in a separate process, just as done now with turtledemo.

>> Wouldn't this make the installer much bigger?

See invisible smiley ;-).

> Yes, and it's also completely and utterly inappropriate. But I am
> seeing a lot of cool magic getting added to Idle. Since I met Python,
> it's gone from being "well, yeah, Python *does* include a GUI, but
> it's pretty unexciting compared to others" to "Python includes a
> pretty decent editor, but it's (unsurprisingly) Python-specific, so I
> don't use it for multilingual work".
>
> Shout-out to Terry and the other Idle devs for the work they've put in.
 > Thanks!

Thank *you*.  It is sometimes thankless work.

--
Terry Jan Reedy