imshow keeps crashhing

John Gordon gordon at panix.com
Wed Jan 6 18:26:58 EST 2016

In <a23096d2-7144-4736-9546-8cd863c26dfe at googlegroups.com> darren.mcaffee at gmail.com writes:

> So scipy is making temporary files in
> /private/vars/folders/w4/<long dir name>/

Are there any unusual characters in <long dir name>?  That's usually more
of a Windows issue, but I'm grasping at straws here :-)

> 1. When in the correct folder within Terminal, on the command line I can do:
>     open <filename>
> And it will open it in Preivew.

So the actual command name for running Preview is "open"?  Have you tried
setting the SCIPY_PIL_IMAGE_VIEWER variable to that name?

> 2. However, when opening Preview first, it is impossible (for me) to navigate to the /private directory to open the file that way, even with:
>     defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
> turned on.

You mean you can't use Preview's file-selection interface to select the
desired file?  The /private directory is not navigable?  Does it even
show up as a choice?

Is there something special about the /private directory?

--
John Gordon                   A is for Amy, who fell down the stairs
gordon at panix.com              B is for Basil, assaulted by bears