GitHub's "pull request" is proprietary lock-in

Josef Pktd josef.pktd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 16:29:12 EST 2016

On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 12:41:32 PM UTC-5, Michael Torrie wrote:
> On 01/04/2016 03:21 AM, m wrote:
> > W dniu 03.01.2016 o 05:43, Ben Finney pisze:
> >> That and other vendor-locked workflow aspects of GitHub makes it a poor
> >> choice for communities that want to retain the option of control over
> >> their processes and data.
> >
> > I'm also afraid that Github will make to git the same thing as Google
> > did to Jabber/XMPP.
> >
> > Decade ago, I had plenty of friends on my jabber contacts list. Next,
> > Google made it's talk compatible with jabber, then my friends slowly
> > migrated to gtalk, because if they used gmail anyway, then why not use
> > it also for jabber?
> >
> > And then Google turned off XMPP support and suddenly I lost ability to
> > contact with 80% of my friends without having stupid hangouts running,
> > or without falling back to email (which is not so bad BTW).
>
> I use gtalk with Pidgin every day using XMPP.  So Google still supports
> XMPP.  However what they stopped doing was allowing federated XMPP,
> which pretty much breaks XMPP, at least the spirit of it.  So the only
> way to chat with gtalk users is to use your gtalk account.  But you
> certainly don't need hangouts.  XMPP works fine between your client and
> the Google server.
>
> I agree that Google really pulled a bad one with gtalk though.  Dropping
> federated XMPP support was definitely not in keeping with their original
> "do no evil" mantra.
>
> > The same can be with Github and git. PPL will forget how to use git
> > without github. When Github will make git-incompatible changes, vast
> > majority will need/want to follow the changes and eg. will use Gitlabs
> > propertiary binary.
>
> Yup you are correct.  However for the foreseeable future, you can still
> do a git clone from github, and you can still use your local repository
> normally.  In fact I think this is really part of the github workflow.
> But who knows what the future will bring.  I can sure see the wisdom of
> the GPLv3 as we move into a world of software as a service, where even
> Microsoft uses Linux, and charges us for it.

about:
> PPL will forget how to use git without github.

We cannot forget what we never learned.

git is way to complicated for regular users without support like what github provides.

I haven't done a merge without the Green Button in a long time. And when I did I always had to triple check to make sure to avoid any mistakes.
I never needed to check what a pull request would be in pure git.

Josef