raise None

Dan Sommers dan at tombstonezero.net
Mon Jan 4 01:09:58 EST 2016

On Mon, 04 Jan 2016 16:19:51 +1100, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> (1) reminding people that the part of the code which determines the
> existence of an error need not be the part of the code which actually
> calls raise [...]

Do chained exceptions scratch your itch?  I don't have experience with
Python's version of chained exceptions, but I have used them in Java,
and it seems to match your use case rather well.  Essentially, each
conceptual layer in the code effectively abstracts the details of the
lower level layer(s), but preserves the details if you're really
interested.

(I've only been following this discussion partially; if this has been
raised (pun intended) before, then just say so.  Thanks.)

> I'm saddened but not astonished at just how much opposition there is
> to point (1) ...

I'll echo the sentiment that we're all adults here, and my opinion that
if you're reading tracebacks, then you want as much information as
possible, even if it seemed irrelevant to the library author at the
time.