Everything good about Python except GUI IDE?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 11:17:58 EST 2016

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 2:43 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2016-02-29, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Abjuring JS may be a virtue (or at least, making it a non-critical
>> part of your web site),
>
> Except the marketing people who decide on the requirements will never,
> ever settle for what you can do with plain HTML/CSS.
>
> In my experience, HTML/CSS makes a pretty awful GUI for a non-trivial
> application.  With some Javascript and sweat, you can almost make it
> to mediocre.

That's why I said "may be". A pure CGI web site is pretty annoying
unless it's really brilliantly done. However, I prefer to see JS
restricted to actual interaction, instead of making it critical to the
basic layout. A lot of web sites these days load nothing but a script
that goes and loads everything else, while you gaze at a splash
screen. IMO that's unideal.

However, even that is probably a losing battle. :(

ChrisA