Everything good about Python except GUI IDE?

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Mon Feb 29 03:37:51 EST 2016

Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:

> CSS is important to document structure and layout.

Most Web pages had better not concern themselves with layout but with
info content only. Unfortunately, HTML is a dirt-poor language for
markup (no extensibility or programmability) so I can understand the
temptation to side-step it with CSS.

CSS has tons of esoterics but seems to lack some very basic facilities
so I can understand the temptation to side-step it with JavaScript.

> Incidentally, HTML+CSS is another excellent example of code being used
> to create a visual effect. While there *are* WYSIWYG HTML editors, I'm
> not familiar with any WYISWYG HTML+CSS editors, and I much more often
> see a fast-turnaround code editing system such as codepen.io - you
> change the HTML in one box, or the CSS in another, and the result down
> below changes in real-time. It wouldn't be too hard to create
> something like this for a GUI, and it'd remove some of that feeling of
> non-interactivity while still retaining all the benefits of code above
> drag-and-drop.

Yes, WYSIWYG is a doomed approach. There's a difference between input
and output.

Marko