Everything good about Python except GUI IDE?

Chris Warrick kwpolska at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 09:26:52 EST 2016

On 28 February 2016 at 15:11, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 7:30:57 PM UTC+5:30, Chris Warrick wrote:

>> > Yes as I said its not satisfactory but not impossible to manage
>> >
>> > Heck Current state of art VCSes cannot even manage mismatching EOL conventions
>> > cleanly.
>> > And as usual they make a virtue out of the lack:
>> > "git stores binary data not text"
>> >
>> > which means that opening a file created on windows on linux and saving it in
>> > WITHOUT a SINGLE CHANGE
>> > can give you a 10,000 line diff!!
>>

>> 2. A good editor can read and write any newline style. It should also
>> not convert without asking the user.
>
> git is a *collaborative* tool and should work when the other party is using
> notepad.

What should git do if someone saves, say, Ruby code as a .py file?
Should it rename it? Or should it figure out an equivalent snippet of
Python?

You probably have some rules in your project such as “Code must be
written in Python” or “Use 4-space soft tabs”. Your rulebook should
also include “Use an editor that understands LF line endings”. Notepad
is a joke that you should not tolerate. Problem solved.

(Notepad does not understand LF line endings and replaces them with
boxes. I also don’t think a Notepad user is likely to provide good
contributions, but that’s another thing)

PGP: 5EAAEA16