Everything good about Python except GUI IDE?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 09:11:54 EST 2016

On Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 7:30:57 PM UTC+5:30, Chris Warrick wrote:
> On 28 February 2016 at 14:49, Rustom Mody  wrote:
> >>
> >> That is also true of Python code but does not preclude effective
> >> source control.
> >
> > Yes as I said its not satisfactory but not impossible to manage
> >
> > Heck Current state of art VCSes cannot even manage mismatching EOL conventions
> > cleanly.
> > And as usual they make a virtue out of the lack:
> > "git stores binary data not text"
> >
> > which means that opening a file created on windows on linux and saving it in
> > WITHOUT a SINGLE CHANGE
> > can give you a 10,000 line diff!!
>

> 2. A good editor can read and write any newline style. It should also
> not convert without asking the user.

git is a *collaborative* tool and should work when the other party is using
notepad.

> 1. git can manage EOL changing if you want to enforce a newline style that way.
Only out-of-band
You store autocrlf etc in your config not in the repo
[And pray that the other (semi-literate) collaborator does likewise]

> You clearly haven't ever done that.
You specialize in crystal balls?

Here's my report about CRLF issues in CPython
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2015-June/140563.html

Bug report: http://bugs.python.org/issue24507