Everything good about Python except GUI IDE?

Dietmar Schwertberger maillist at schwertberger.de
Sat Feb 27 13:51:45 EST 2016

On 27.02.2016 19:13, wrong.address.1 at gmail.com wrote:
> I am starting to wonder if VB.net would be a better solution for the time being. I have learnt enough VB.net to manage my work but it is bloated and Microsoft dependent.
I would recommend the Python option...

> I will check it. I got the impression that you can create a GUI but that has to be converted to Python, and then you need a wrapper to put these forms in, and then they can be compiled or converted to *.exe with py2exe. Not a good way for development/debugging.
For PyQt with Qt Designer the development flow looks like e.g.
https://nikolak.com/pyqt-qt-designer-getting-started/
For non-trivial GUIs you will probably find it easier to create the GUI
in Python code yourself. But maybe the created Python code will show you
how to use PyQt in the beginning.

You will find many "Getting started with..." for both PyQt and wxPython.

For either GUI toolkit, you should get a book - either "wxPython in
Action" or "Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt" (or both).

For both toolkits the electronic documentation is not for Python but for
C++.
For wxPython you get a .chm help file, which contains all documentation
in one file and a wxPython demo which contains a browser and example
code for almost all GUI components.
For PyQt the documentation is online. While it is quite complete, I
always have difficulties to find the information I'm looking for...

wxPython is currently not really an option for Python 3, but this will
change very soon. (Well, it can be used with Python 3 already, but for a
beginner I would recommend to start with the so called "classic" version
for Python 2, especially as the included demo will be the main source of
information.)

For debugging you just run the interpreter with the .py file. It's
reasonably simple to debug with e.g. WingIDE.
When you create a GUI in Python code, it's often the easiest way to
explore properties and methods of the GUI classes from the debugger prompt.

Regards,

Dietmar